Saturday, August 23, 2014

Jacob Thompson to James Buchanan, January 10, 1861

Washington City, Jany. 10th, 1861.

To His Excellency James Buchanan, President Of U. S.

Dear Sir: In your reply to my note of 8th Inst., accepting my resignation, you are right when you say that “you (I) had been so emphatic in opposing these reinforcements that I (you) thought you (I) would resign in consequence of my decision.” I came to the Cabinet on Wednesday Jany. 2nd, with the full expectation I would resign my commission before I left your Council Board; and I know you do not doubt that my action would have been promptly taken had I understood on that day that you had decided that “reinforcements must now be sent.” For more than forty days, I have regarded the display of a military force in Charleston or along the Southern Coast by the United States as tantamount to war. Of this opinion you & all my colleagues of the Cabinet have been frankly advised. Believing that such would be the construction of an order for additional troops, I have been anxious and have used all legitimate means to save you and your administration from precipitating the Country into an inevitable conflict, the end of which no human being could foresee. My counsels have not prevailed, troops have been sent, and I hope yet that a kind Providence may avert the consequences I have apprehended and that peace be maintained.

I am now a private citizen and as such I am at liberty to give expression to my private feelings towards you personally.

In all my official intercourse with you though often overruled, I have been treated with uniform kindness and consideration.

I know your patriotism, your honesty and purity of character, & admire your high qualities of head & heart. If we can sink all the circumstances attending this unfortunate order for reinforcements, on which though we may differ, yet I am willing to admit that you are as conscientious as I claim to be, you have ever been frank, direct, and confiding in me. I have never been subjected to the first mortification, or entertained for a moment the first unkind feeling. These facts determined me to stand by you & your Administration as long as there was any hope left that our present difficulties could find a peaceful solution. If the counsels of some members of your Cabinet prevail, I am utterly without hope.

Every duty you have imposed on me has been discharged with scrupulous fidelity on my part, and it would give me infinite pain even to suspect that you are not satisfied.

Whatever may be our respective futures, I shall ever be your personal friend, and shall vindicate your fame and your Administration, of which I have been a part, and shall ever remember with gratitude the many favors and kindnesses heretofore shown to me & mine.

I go hence to make the destiny of Mississippi my destiny. My life, fortune, and all I hold most dear shall be devoted to her cause. In doing this, I believe, before God, I am serving the ends of truth & justice & good Government.

Now as ever, your personal friend,
J. Thompson.

SOURCE: John Bassett More, Editor, The Works of James Buchanan, Volume 11, p. 102-3

No comments: