Saturday, August 23, 2014

James Buchanan to Howell Cobb, December 10, 1860

Washington, 10 December, 1860.

My Dear Sir: I have received your communication of Saturday evening resigning the position of Secretary of the Treasury which you have held since the commencement of my administration. Whilst I deeply regret that you have determined to separate yourself from us at the present critical moment, yet I admit that the question was one for your own decision. I could have wished you had arrived at a different conclusion, because our relations both official and personal have ever been of the most friendly and confidential character. I may add that I have been entirely satisfied with the ability and zeal which you have displayed in performing the duties of your important office.

Cordially reciprocating your sentiments of personal regard, I remain, very respectfully, your friend.

JAMES BUCHANAN.
Hon. HOWELL COBB.

SOURCE: Ulrich Bonnell Phillips, Editor, The Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1911, Volume 2: The Correspondence of Robert Toombs, Alexander H. Stephens, and Howell Cobb, p. 518; “The Resignation Of Secretary Cobb. The Correspondence, The New York Times, New York, New York, December 14, 1860.

No comments: