Saturday, August 16, 2014

John Brown to his Children, August 24, 1854

Akron, Ohio, Aug. 24, 1854.

Dear Children, — I have just received Henry's letter of the 13th instant, and have much reason to be thankful for the good news it brings. We are all in middling health, so far as I know, in this quarter, although there is some sickness about us. Mother Brown, of Hudson, was complaining some last week; have not heard from her since then. This part of the country is suffering the most dreadful drouth ever experienced during this nineteenth century. We have been much more highly favored than most of our neighbors in that we were enabled to secure a most excellent hay crop, whilst many others did not get theirs saved in time, and lost it notwithstanding the dry weather. Our oats are no better than those of our neighbors, but we have a few. We shall probably have some corn, while others, to a great extent, will have none. Of garden vegetables we have more than twenty poor families have in many cases. Of fruit we shall have a comfortable supply, if our less favored neighbors do not take it all from us. We ought to be willing to divide. Our cattle (of which we have thirty-three head) we are enabled to keep in excellent condition, on the little feed that grows on the moist grounds, and by feeding the stalks green that have failed of corn, — and we have a good many of them. We have had two light frosts, on August the 9th and 18th, but have had more extreme hot weather in July and August than ever known before, — thermometer often up to 98° in the shade, and was so yesterday; it now stands (eleven o'clock P. M.) at 93°. I am thinking that it may be best for us to dispose of all the cattle we want to sell, and of all our winter feed, and move a few choice cattle to North Elba this fall, provided we can there buy hay and other stuff considerably cheaper than we might sell our stuff for here, and also provided we can get a comfortable house to winter in. I want you to keep writing me often, as you can learn how hay, all kinds of grain, and roots can be bought with you, so that I may be the better able to jndge. Our last year's pork proves to be a most perfect article, but I think not best to ship any until the weather gets a little cooler. The price Mr. Washburn asks for his contract may not be much out of the way, but there seems to be some difficulty about a bargain yet. First, he wants to hang on all his stock, and I do not know at present as I want any of them. I do not know what he has on hand; he may perhaps be able to get them off himself. Then, again, I do not know as Mr. Smith1 would give a deed of half the lot before the whole purchase-money for the entire lot and interest are paid. You may have further information than I have. Early in the season all kinds of cattle were high, scarce and ready cash; now, as the prospects are, I am entirely unable to make an estimate of what money I can realize on them, so as to be able to say just now how much money I can raise, provided those other impediments can be got over. I intend to turn all I consistently can into money, and as fast as I can, and would be glad to secure the purchase of Washburn, if it can be done consistently and without too much trouble. Write me again soon, and advise as far as you can about all these matters. We could probably sell all our produce at pretty high prices. How are cattle, horses, sheep, and hogs selling in your quarter?

Your affectionate father,
John Brown.
_______________

1 Gerrit Smith, who still owned much land at North Elba.

 SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 158-9

No comments: