Saturday, August 9, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, October 30, 1863

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, October 30, 1863.

You seem to be very much puzzled about my retreat, as you misname it. It was not a retreat, but a withdrawal of the army — manoeuvring to get into a proper position to offer battle, and made to prevent Lee from compelling me to fight at a disadvantage. Had I been able to ascertain his movements, I would have given him battle the day Warren was attacked; but I was misled by information which induced me to believe he was farther ahead. As it afterwards turned out, I was ahead of him; which was the object I was trying to attain before fighting. It was greatly to my interest to fight, and I was most anxious to do so, but I would not do so with all the advantages on his side, and the certainty that if the battle went against me I could not extricate the army from its perilous position. I don't suppose I shall ever get credit for my motives, except with the army. The soldiers realize the necessity of not letting the enemy have the game in their hands entirely; hence they cheerfully submitted to all the hardships, such as night and forced marches, that I was compelled to impose on them.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 154-5

No comments: