Thursday, August 14, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, February 14, 1863

February 14th.

Your delightful letter of six pages received a welcome reception this evening. I. am thankful to see that our kind Heavenly Father is again restoring mother to health. I felt uneasy about her, and thought that Joseph had better make a visit home. I have made the restoration of mother's health a subject of prayer; but then we know that our dear ones are mortal, and that God does not always answer prayer according to our erring feelings. I think that if, when we see ourselves in a glass, we should consider that all of us that is visible must turn to corruption and dust, we would learn more justly to appreciate the relative importance of the body that perishes and the soul that is immortal.  . . . Your accounts of baby are very gratifying, and intensify my desire to see her. If peace is not concluded before next winter, I do hope you can bring her and spend the winter with me. This would be very delightful. If we are spared, I trust an ever-kind Providence will enable us to be together all winter. I am glad little Julia was pleased with her present, and wish I could have seen her laugh.  . . . You say you don't see any use of my not taking a furlough. I think that the army would be much more efficient if all belonging to it were present.  . . . I do trust and pray that our people will religiously observe the 27th of next month as a day of humiliation, prayer, and fasting, as our President has designated in his proclamation. To-morrow is the Sabbath. My Sabbaths are looked forward to with pleasure. I don't know that I ever enjoyed Sabbaths as I do this winter.  . . . I don't think I have written you about recent presents. About a week since, I received from Mr. W. F. De la Rue, of London, a superb English saddle, bridle, holsters, saddle-cover, blankets, whip, spurs, etc. — the most complete riding equipage that I have seen for many a day. Its completeness is remarkable. This evening I received from Mr. John Johnson, of London, a box containing two flannel shirts, two pairs of long woollen stockings extending above the knees, a buckskin shirt, a pair of boots, a pair of leather leggings extending about eight inches above the knees, two pairs of excellent fitting leather gloves, and a very superior variegated colored blanket. Our ever-kind Heavenly Father gives me friends among strangers. He is the source of every blessing, and I desire to be more grateful to Him.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 416-8

No comments: