Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, December 25, 1862

Christmas, 1862.

Yesterday I received the baby's letter with its beautiful lock of hair. How I do want to see that precious baby! and I do earnestly pray for peace. Oh that our country was such a Christian, God-fearing people as it should be! Then might we very speedily look for peace. Last evening I received a letter from Dr. Dabney, saying: “One of the highest gratifications both Mrs. Dabney and I could enjoy would be another visit from Mrs. Jackson when her health is re-established,” and he invites me to meet you there. He and Mrs. Dabney are very kind, but it appears to me that it is better for me to remain with my command so long as the war continues, if our gracious Heavenly Father permits. The army suffers immensely by absentees. If all our troops, officers and men, were at their posts, we might, through God's blessing, expect a more speedy termination of the war. The temporal affairs of some are so deranged as to make a strong plea for their returning home for a short time; but our God has greatly blessed me and mine during my absence; and whilst it would be a great comfort to see you and our darling little daughter, and others in whom I take special interest, yet duty appears to require me to remain with my command. It is important that those at headquarters set an example by remaining at the post of duty.

Dr. Dabney writes: “Our little prayer-meeting is still meeting daily to pray for our army and leaders.” This prayer-meeting may be the means of accomplishing more than an army. I wish that such existed everywhere. How it does cheer my heart to hear of God's people praying for our cause and for me! I greatly prize the prayers of the pious.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 387-8

No comments: