Saturday, August 9, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, January 6, 1863

January 6th.

I am very thankful to our kind Heavenly Father for good tidings from you and baby — specially that she is restored again to health, and I trust that we all three may so live as most to glorify His holy name.  . . . I have a visor, but I hope I shall not have to sleep in a tent any more this winter. My ears are still troubling me, but I am very thankful that my hearing is as good as usual, and from my appearance one would suppose that I was perfectly well. Indeed, my health is essentially good, but I do not think I shall be able in future to stand what I have already stood, although, with the exception of the increased sensitiveness of my ears, my health has improved. I am sorry to hear that dear mother's health does not improve.  . . . We have several cases of smallpox at Guiney's, and I expect you will have to give up all idea of coming to see me until spring, as I fear it would be too much of a risk for you and baby to travel up here.

The other day I received from the citizens of Augusta County a magnificent horse, with an excellent saddle and bridle. It is the most complete riding equipment that I have seen. My kind friends went so far as to get patent stirrups, constructed so as to open and throw the foot from the stirrup in the event of the rider being thrown and the foot hung in the stirrups. How kind is God to us! Oh that I were more grateful!

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 412-3

No comments: