Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pass of Corydon E. Fuller, April 15, 1865

No. 2691.
Headquarters.
Department of Washington,
Washington, D. C, April 15, 1865.

Pass C. E. Fuller, on Seventh street, near the toll gate, and return.

Reason. To go home and business.
This pass will expire April 23, 1865.
By command of Major General Augur.
J. A. Slipper,
Capt. and A. A. G.


On the back side of the same was the following:

OATH OF ALLEGIANCE.

In availing myself of the benefits of this Pass, I do solemnly affirm that I will support, protect and defend the Constitution and Government of the United States against all enemies, whether domestic or foreign; that I will bear true faith, allegiance and loyalty to the same, any ordinance, resolution or law of any State Convention or Legislature to the contrary notwithstanding; that I will not give aid, comfort or information to its enemies; and further, that I do this with a full determination, pledge and purpose, without any mental reservation or evasion whatsoever: So help me God.

C. E. Fuller.

SOURCE: Corydon Eustathius Fuller, Reminiscences of James A. Garfield: With Notes Preliminary and Collateral, p. 384-5

No comments: