Monday, September 1, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, January 15, 1865

Headquarters Third Division,
Detachment Army Of The Tennessee,
in The Field, Sunday, Jan. 15, 1865.

I am now once more fairly in the field, and at the head of my command. My tent is pitched upon a pleasant knoll in a very hilly, almost mountainous country, from whence I have a view of the Tennessee river, and parts of three States, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama. The ground is gravelly and the forests pine, so that I keep comparatively dry; the floor of my tent is carpeted with pine boughs that make a pleasant smell. For some days past the weather has been delightful, clear, bright and warm, yet bracing. Already the rose and briar are putting forth green leaves and bulbous roots are springing from the ground. The atmosphere is about as it would be in your latitude, say the 1st of May, or thereabouts. My health improves, bowels decidedly better, appetite pretty good, and the most that troubles me now is a tendency to take cold, cold with an irritation of the throat. This is to be expected, for I could hardly go from careful nursing directly into the field without some shock to the system.

My command is not yet thoroughly organized, and I have some new appointments of staff officers to make; in the course of a day or two I shall publish my staff, and will send you a copy. . . . I have three brigades; our detachments are about being organized into a corps of three divisions, each division of three brigades. The division commanders are General McArthur, General Garrard (Kenna Garrard of West Point, oldest son of Mrs. McLean), and myself, all under command of Gen. A. J. Smith.

A large mail has come to-day with the fleet that brought up General Thomas and troops, but I am disappointed in finding nothing for me.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 378-9

No comments: