Thursday, September 25, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Eliza Walter Smith, June 15, 1865

Headquarters District Of Mobile,
June 15, 1865.
My Dear Mother:

A very handsome position and one of the most powerful, in the event of foreign war, that is probable, has been tendered me, that of Provost Marshal General, for the whole Western Department, including Texas and New Mexico, has been offered and urged upon me, but General Canby has been anxious to place me in command of this, the most important district of the South. I have yielded to him, for two considerations, first, I shall be nearer my family, some members of whom I shall be able to see in the autumn, if my life is spared, and secondly, because I have some political aspirations that may be rendered tangible, perhaps better from this point than any other, this, of course, depends upon the future aspect of our foreign relations. These two considerations are selfish; after these I feel I can, perhaps, do my duty to my Government as well, or perhaps better, in my present position than the other, which would involve great labor.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 406-7

No comments: