Friday, September 5, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, February 7, 1865

Washington, D. C, February 7, 1865.

If I can get permission, I shall stop for a day to see you, as I return to the field, unless, indeed, as there is some reason to suppose, I be transferred to another command. I am offered a splendid division in the cavalry service. . . .

But if I take it I am brought right into the Army of the Potomac, and I can't bear to lose my Western boys, or the broad Savannahs in the South, where I hope glory yet awaits me. I have been to some parties and some receptions, have paid my respects to most of the Secretaries and to the President and his wife, and altogether have been having a pretty good time here in Washington. My mind has been relaxed and relieved, and it has done me good.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 379-80

No comments: