Sunday, September 7, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, March 21, 1865

Headquarters District Of South Alabama,
Fort Gaines, Ala., March 21, 1865.
My Dear Wife:

I cannot express the sorrow and chagrin I felt at being compelled to leave you and our dear little boy so abruptly. I know it must be many days, that it may be many weeks, before I can with reason hope to receive assurance of your safety, and you may judge my present anxiety. Were it not for the fact that I have schooled my mind to dismiss apprehensions for the future, I should be heartsick indeed, and whatever philosophy I bring to my aid, I shall not be happy till I learn of your safe arrival at home. I could not foresee so rapid a movement of troops or so urgent a necessity for my instant departure from New Orleans, or I should not have assumed the responsibility of bringing you down. And if anything untoward happens, my conscience will never cease to reprove me for an act selfish, if not unjustified, though apart from the pleasure of your society I hoped benefit to your health.

The enclosed orders will show my command and present address. The latter I have reason to hope will very shortly, with my headquarters, be at “Mobile.” Meanwhile, letters addressed to me as commanding District Southern Alabama, will reach me via New Orleans.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 381-2

No comments: