Monday, September 15, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith, April 11, 1865

Headquarters District Of South Alabama,
Fort Gaines, Ala., April 11, 1865.

I wrote you the day before yesterday, since which time the glorious news from Richmond I alluded to has been corroborated; and meanwhile we have had great success before Mobile. Spanish Fort has been reduced; carried by assault; five hundred prisoners and an equal number of the enemy killed and wounded. “Blakely” has also been carried, and two thousand five hundred prisoners captured. It is now with us only a question of time, though the garrison at Mobile and the fortifications are still making an obstinate defence. The enemy fights with great gallantry, but must ultimately succumb. Our navy, in this siege, has not displayed much enterprise or great gallantry. An excuse may be found in the demoralizing effect of the torpedoes that sunk three of their best ships. The particulars of the news you will get through the public prints before my letter reaches you. I hope my letters do reach you. I write often two or three or four times a week. No letters to me from anybody yet save the three from you dated at Baton Rouge, Vicksburg, and Cairo. I am really heartsick for letters from home.

I sailed up Mobile Bay yesterday through the fleet and close in sight of the city, whose spires and housetops, wharfs and boats, reminded me of the distant views I used to have of Vicksburg during the siege.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 386-7

No comments: