Monday, September 29, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, April 11, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, April 11, 1864.

There is no doubt General Birney is scared at the turn things have taken in the Sickles matter, for I received a note from Hancock, the other day, saying Birney had been to see him, disclaiming being a partisan of Sickles, and saying he would like to come and see me to explain matters, but did not like to do so without some intimation on my part that it would be agreeable. I replied to Hancock that I was not aware of there being any occasion for explanation on the part of General Birney, as I had heard nothing except what I had seen in the papers about his testimony, and that he had denied in writing. At the same time I was always ready to see General Birney whenever he chose to do me the honor to call.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 189

No comments: