Sunday, September 7, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, March 9, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, March 9, 1864.

I have answered Mr. Harding's note, likewise one from Cortlandt Parker, and numerous others I have received from sympathizing friends. To prepare a statement and furnish it to all my friends who are desirous of defending me would take too much time. Besides, I intend to await the action of the committee, give them a chance to do me justice, failing which I will publish a pamphlet giving my side of the question. Yesterday's Tribune has a most violent attack on me, full of the basest and most malicious slanders, in which, not satisfied with attacking my military reputation, they impugn my loyalty and attribute expressions to me I never dreamed of using.1

Birney and Pleasanton have appeared in the hostile ranks. The latter's course is the meanest and blackest ingratitude; for I can prove, but for my intercession he would have been relieved long since.
_______________

1 For article mentioned, see Appendix H.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 176

No comments: