Monday, September 8, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Commodore Samuel F. Du Pont, November 23, 1861

Washington, November 23, 1861.

I have waited to learn the particulars of your grand achievement at Port Royal, and could not, if I would, any longer refrain from congratulating you upon the splendor of your success. And yet I was well satisfied before you sailed that you would do precisely what you have done. I have never suffered myself to doubt for a moment the skill, the pluck, and the devotion of the navy, and have never hesitated to say always and everywhere that it would be the right arm of the public defense, and that this unholy rebellion was to be put down more by the navy than by the army.

I need not say to you, for you already know it, that your name is fast becoming a household word all over the country, and that everybody is striving to be foremost in doing you that honor your merit so justly deserves. I think that the only other officers in your fleet that I personally know are Captain Davis and the two Commanders Rodgers. I beg you, if convenient, to extend my congratulations to them. Indeed, if I could, I would bid “All hail!” to every man and boy in your fleet. Be assured that no man rejoices over your success more than I do, and no man will rejoice more than I shall over any future success, as well on your personal account as on account of the glory your deeds reflect upon the navy, and the peace and unity which I pray to God they may ultimately give to the country.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 158-9

No comments: