Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, April 16, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, April 16, 1864.

General Grant returned yesterday. The papers will tell you I was present the other day when Hancock reviewed Birney's division, and the next day, when he reviewed Carr's and Gibbon's divisions. These troops all looked splendidly, and seemed, officers and men, in fine spirits.

The reorganization, now that it is over, meets with universal approbation, and I believe I have gained great credit for the manner in which so disagreeable an operation was made acceptable to those concerned. Even General Birney, of the smashed up Third Corps, is, I believe, reconciled.

How much I should like to see you all. At times I feel very despondent about the termination of this war and the prospect of my return, but I try to keep up my spirits and hope for the best.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 190

No comments: