Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Admiral Samuel F. Du Pont, October 20, 1862

Burlington, October 20, 1862.

I found your very interesting letter of the 12th September awaiting my return to my home last week, after a month's absence in the interior of the State.

I judge, from what I see in the newspapers, that before this reaches you, you will be making preparations to attack Charleston. May God speed and protect you! I doubt not that an attack will be attended with great risk to our vessels and men; still, with the complete and thorough preparation that I know you will make, and the enterprise that I know you and your officers will exhibit, I am prepared to prophesy success. And what a glorious triumph it will be! It will thrill every loyal heart with delight. I wish it were possible for the Navy to take it unaided by the Army; but that cannot be expected.

I am in no wise deserving of the kind compliments you lavish upon me. I get credit for a great deal of knowledge upon naval subjects, from the simple fact that I am surrounded by the most profound ignorance. A very small light in such utter darkness attracts attention, and seems to excite surprise, especially when the little ray proceeds from the region that this does. For you know that up to my time it was supposed that all information in relation to your branch of the public service was confined to a select "guild" about the Atlantic cities, no man from the interior having presumed to know anything about it. If I have been of any real service, it has been in breaking down and eradicating that idea, and in assisting to nationalize the Navy, in making the frontiersman as well as the longshoreman feel that he was interested in it, and partook of its glory.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 218

No comments: