Sunday, October 12, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Senator William P. Fessenden, October 12, 1862

Burlington, October 12, 1862.

I have been absent nearly four weeks canvassing the State, and only returned last evening. I knew of the death of your son1 before I left home. I attempted on two occasions to write to you, but failed to send or even complete either letter. I know the anguish that you must feel, and I feared that I would but open your wounds afresh. I think that the last conversation I had with you in Washington was in your room, and about Samuel. You know very well what I thought of him. I always thought that there were the elements of great success in him, and that he would one day be a credit to himself, his family, and to the country. If I knew how to do it I would condole with you. You know that you have my deepest sympathy in your affliction.

I have ceased to write or talk about the generals and the Administration. The men of brains are still overslaughed and ignored, and it would seem that they are to continue to be.

Our election takes place day after to-morrow. I have traveled nearly four weeks, speaking every day. I think we shall elect all six of our Congressmen, and they will all be capital men. My wife sends love. When I came home she was full of praises of your tax-bill speech,2 pronouncing it the best she had seen from you. I tried to laugh her out of it, but, woman-like, she adheres to that opinion. Did you ever hear any one else say that?
_______________

1 Mortally wounded at Bull Run, Virginia, August 30, 1862.
2 June 6, 1862.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 217

No comments: