Friday, November 28, 2014

Captain Charles Russell Lowell to Henry Lee Higginson, January 21, 1863

Readville, Mass., Jan. 21, '63.

. . . As for Porter's case: — the evidence leaves little doubt that Porter got “demoralized,” not more, probably, than you or I would have under the circumstances — but still dangerously “demoralized.” He heard Pope say the enemy was here, or there, or in a bag, and always found it quite to the contrary, and unconsciously he said, “This is not war, this is chance, I cannot do anything here,” and he rather let things slide. He was no worse than twenty thousand others, but his frame of mind was un-officer-like and dangerous. This sort of feeling was growing in the army, and the Government and the Country felt that it must be stopped. Porter was made the example.1 I am very very sorry for him, and shall always treat him personally with as much regard as ever; but I accept the lesson, and do not propose to be demoralized myself, or let any of my friends be, if I can help it.  . . . I think good and brave people are wanted at home now more than in the army.

I was going to end there and sign "yours truly," but on looking over what I had written I thought it might give you the impression that I felt disappointed about the state of public opinion here. Not at all. In December I had begun to feel quite disheartened, but within a few weeks I think I have noticed a change. People are waking to the fact that this is a war which concerns them, that whether we have leaders or no, there is something for every man to do. They are beginning to think and look about, and correspondingly others are beginning to think and look about how to instruct the people. This is difficult. You will be surprised to notice how entirely some men, whom we had relied upon, are lacking in public spirit, and how others shine out, whom we had overlooked. I find myself judging men entirely now by their standard of public spirit. It is of course partial and unfair so far as individuals are concerned, but in a time like this, one naturally refers everything and everybody to its or his effect upon the State.

Good-bye, old fellow, and a speedy raid.
_______________

1 Major-General Fitz John Porter, comroanding the Fifth Army Corps, an officer of excellent record in the Peninsular Campaign, was accused by General Pope of disobedience to his orders before and during the battles near Manassas, August 28 and 29, 1862. A court-martial found him guilty. After the war, when the excitement had subsided, President Hayes convened a board of officers of high character and ability, who were free from personal relations to that campaign, Major-General Schofield, Brigadier-General Terry, and Colonel Getty. After a careful and patient examination of the case, including much new and important evidence which could not be procured at the time of the court-martial, this board completely exonerated General Porter from the charges on which the court-martial had found him guilty.

SOURCE: Edward Waldo Emerson, Life and Letters of Charles Russell Lowell, p. 231-2, 412-3

No comments: