Monday, November 3, 2014

George William Curtis to Charles Eliot Norton, July 29, 1861

July 29, 1861.

My Dear Charles, — I have your notes and the good news of Longfellow. A week ago Tom Appleton wrote me about himself and L–––. It was a very manly, touching letter. How glad I am that L––– is not crushed by the heavy blow!

No, nor am I nor the country by our blow. It is very bitter, but we had made a false start, and we should have suffered more dreadfully in the end had we succeeded now.

The "Tribune," as you see, has changed. There was a terrible time there. Its course was quite exclusively controlled by my friend, Charles Dana. The stockholders and Greeley himself at last rebelled and Dana was overthrown. It may lead to his leaving the “Tribune;” but for his sake I hope not.

As for blame and causes (for the defeat at Bull Run), they are in our condition and character. We have undertaken to make war without in the least knowing how. It is as if I should be put to run a locomotive. I am a decent citizen, and (let us suppose) a respectable man, but if the train were destroyed, who would be responsible? We have made a false start and we have discovered it. It remains only to start afresh.

The only difficulty now will be just that of which Mr. Cox’s resolutions are an evidence, the disposition to ask, “Will it pay?” And the duty is to destroy that difficulty by showing that peace is impossible without an emphatic conquest upon one side or the other. If we could suppose peace made as we stand now, we could not reduce our army by a single soldier. The sword must decide this radical quarrel. Why not within as well as without the Union? Then, if we win, we save all. If we lose, we lose no more.

SOURCE: Edward Cary, George William Curtis, p. 148-9

No comments: