Saturday, November 8, 2014

John Brown to Congressman Joshua R. Giddings, January 27, 1856

City Of Weston, Missouri, January 27, 1856.
Hon. J. R. Giddings,
Washington City.

Dear Sir:

I presume an apology is unnecessary, in addressing a letter to one so warmly interested as yourself on the great question of the day, viz: the freeing of this great country from the curse of slavery. Sir, six months ago I left my native State, York; for a home in Kansas. I settled, on my arrival in the territory, about four miles from Lawrence, and built me a good house, where I resided until the border ruffians invaded the territory. They, knowing my adherence to the cause of freedom, and my being a Northern man, took me a prisoner and kept me as such for four days, treating me worse than one of their slaves. After my release they told me I must leave the country. I did not do it, but went to Eaton, and remained there quietly until last Friday week, the day of election. They then sent their minions out to disturb our election, which they did. They killed two men for us. How long are we to be treated like dogs? General Pomeroy promised us men and means to carry on the war. Sir, are we to have them, or are we to be driven from the territory, after all the sacrifices of time and money we have made? Will you, sir, inform me if we are to have the means to drive the last B. R. from the country? I, for one, am ready to stay if we are. If we do not have them soon we will be driven from the land. Answer requested immediately. I must close for fear of interruption.

Respectfully yrs.,
John Brown.

SOURCE: Walter Buell, Joshua R. Giddings: A Sketch, p. 199-200

No comments: