Sunday, November 30, 2014

Theodore Wintrhop to Elizabeth Woolsey Winthrop, June 1, 1861

HEADQUARTERS DEPT. OF VIRGINIA,
Fortress Monroe, June 1st, 1861.

My Dear Mother, — Somehow I find myself here on Gen. Butler's staff, acting military secretary at present, and here I shall stay, if the business remains as intensely interesting as now. Billy also writes me from Washington that I am to be appointed First Lieutenant in the Army. My rank as Secretary is, I suppose, Captain or perhaps Major, so you see I am in the line of promotion. Please write to me here, dear mother, at once. I cannot take time to write, for things thicken all the while. We shall not have fighting, but the preparations are busy. All the manuscripts in the drawer and the trunk please preserve with care, as they must make my fortune when I am a half-pay officer, with no arms or legs. Lively work presently. Address me for the present simply T. W., Care Maj.-Gen. Butler, Fortress Monroe, Virginia.

SOURCE: Laura Winthrop Johnson, Editor, The Life and Poems of Theodore Winthrop, p. 290

No comments: