Monday, December 22, 2014

Lieutenant-General Ulysses S. Grant to Major-General George G. Meade, October 24, 1864

CITY POINT, VA., October 24, 1864.
Major-General MEADE:

Your note, by the hands of Lieutenant Dunn, is received. I have felt as much pained as you at the constant stabs made at you by a portion of the public press. I know nothing better to give you to use in answer to these charges than copies of every dispatch sent to Washington by me, in which your name is used. These will show at least that I have never expressed dissatisfaction at any portion of your services.

U.S. GRANT,
Lieutenant-General.

SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 42, Part 3 (Serial No. 89), pages 317; George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 237

No comments: