Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, October 18, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, October 18, 1864.

Yesterday General Grant came up in the morning with the Secretary of War, Secretary of the Treasury, the Collector of New York, Mr. Hooper, member of Congress from Boston, together with several military dignitaries. They spent a short time at my headquarters, from whence I took them to see a part of the lines, after which they returned to City Point, I accompanying them. At City Point I met Admiral Porter and Captain Frailey, each with his wife. As these ladies desired greatly to go to the front and see some rebels, I persuaded their husbands to return with me, and we stopped the cars near Hancock's headquarters, inspected our line and the rebel works, and then went to Hancock's headquarters, who got us up a comfortable supper, and after dark shelled the enemy's lines. They seemed greatly delighted, and returned about 10 P. M. to City Point. Mr. Stanton was, as he always is, most kind and civil to me.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 234-5

No comments: