Saturday, December 20, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, October 23, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, October 23, 1864.

I have seen to-day for the first time a most virulent attack on me in Henry Ward Beecher's paper, the Independent.1 The piece has been in camp, I find, for several days, and many officers have been talking about it, but purposely refrained from letting me see it. I heard of it accidentally this afternoon at Grant's headquarters, where I was on business. I cannot imagine who is the instigator of this violent assault. The idea that I hang on Grant, like the Old Man of the Sea, and am retained in command in spite of that officer's desire to be rid of me solely on the ground of “fancied political necessity,” is most amusing. I had not seen the article when I was with Grant, or I should have called his attention to it. After all, it is probably not worth while to notice it.
__________

1 For article mentioned, see Appendix Q.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 235-6

No comments: