Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, February 2, 1865

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, February 2, 1865.

Grant sent me a note this morning, saying a telegram from Washington announced my confirmation yesterday by a heavy majority; thus I have gained another victory, and have found that I really have more friends than I had any idea of.

There have been some English officers here this evening from the frigate Galatea, and they have kept me up so late that I cannot write as much as I would wish.

I thought my last visit was, excepting dear Sergeant's1 sickness, most happy, but I cannot be happy and see my noble boy suffering as he does. I think of him all the time, and feel at times like asking to be relieved, that I may go home and help you nurse him. May God in his infinite mercy restore him to health, is my constant prayer!
_______________

1 Son of General Meade.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 260

No comments: