Monday, February 23, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, March 26, 1864

March 26, 1864.

. . . To-day has been cloudy, with high winds. The snow has entirely disappeared, except from the slopes of the Blue Ridge, which strange to say is plainly visible from here though twenty miles distant. Unless more rain or snow falls the roads here will soon be in good condition. I feel much better of my cough and when I see you again I hope to be entirely recovered from it. Nothing new here. No information comes from the enemy's lines to break the dull monotony that seems to prevail throughout this entire army. It is greatly different I assure you from what it was out West. There we were always getting some information that kept up an excitement and made it seem that we were doing something. I trust, however, that this monotony will soon be broken by the movement of the unbroken columns of this splendidly equipped and well fed army of veterans against the famed Army of Northern Virginia. For if it fights as it feels, success must attend its next advance towards Richmond. Every day gives me hope of triumph to our country in the impending conflict. One decisive victory here will go far towards the consummation of the Patriot's hope.

The General goes in the morning to Washington but will return the next day and the talk is now that on Wednesday of the coming week, he and I will visit the army of General Butler. Colonel Bowers and all the members of the staff except Colonel Duff and Captain Badeau have arrived. Our horses and baggage came through safely. Mrs. Grant was to visit the White House to-day. Captain Badeau, who is familiar with Washington society and manners, remained to accompany her. I have no doubt she will be greatly delighted. I send you enclosed a photograph of Colonel T. S. Bowers, with his autograph. . . .

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 405-6

No comments: