Monday, February 9, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, February 11, 1864

Nashville, February 11, 1864.

. . . General John D. Stevenson, the gentleman who presented me a fine saddle at Vicksburg, is here on his way to Pulaski, and I am of the opinion that he will want a change made in his order, and on the strength of his friendship for me and my reciprocation of it will expect to succeed, but in this he is mistaken. I would do anything in the world for the General, consistent with the public service, but I think in command of Pulaski he will do better than at any other place.

I am much better with my cough to-night than I was yesterday and hope soon to be well. We will go to Chattanooga in a few days; troops are on the move from Scottsboro to that place, and those to go from the latter place to Knoxville will start Monday next. To-day General Grant received a fine horse as a present from a gentleman in Cincinnati.

The news from the front is “all quiet.” Despatches from General Schofield dated 7th instant state that he had assumed command at Knoxville. Many of the ladies here are desirous of going South, and the General has promised to permit them to do so on a certain day in the future, via Decatur. I shall use my influence to prevent it if possible, for I do not believe either in sending persons through our lines by compulsion or permission.

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 397-8

No comments: