Saturday, February 7, 2015

Lieutenant-Colonel John T. L. Preston to Margaret Junkin Preston, May 12, 1861

Harper's Ferry, May 12 (1861).

Precious Wife, — As far as I know, I am in for the war, and cannot say when I will see you again. It would surprise you to see with what flexibility I adapt myself to my new circumstances. I did not know before how well I could get through work which is new to me, nor did I know how much technical acquaintance with military matters I had absorbed (for I never paid the least attention to them) by my life-long connection with the Institute. At all events, I have been for a week, since Massie's absence, acting as chief aid, settling all manner of questions for colonels, majors, and captains, and sometimes when Jackson was absent looking after his fortifications, acting as commander-in-chief. (Don't repeat such things to anybody.) We have regular and earnest war, in all but the battle, that has not come yet. The preparatory arrangements for war are more difficult and responsible than the battle itself, and the indirect evils are more to be deplored than the positive loss of life. Don't I long for my dear wife and children? Indeed I do. Tell George I have got my big sword sharpened up now, and ride a nice horse.  . . . I have not heard a single word from you, but I know you do not forget to think of and pray for me. God bless us all.

Your Husband.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Preston Allan, The Life and Letters of Margaret Junkin Preston, p. 118

No comments: