Monday, February 16, 2015

Lieutenant-Colonel Theodore Lyman to Elizabeth Russell Lyman, September 30, 1864

September 30, 1864

If the General will ride out at 8.30 A.M., and get back at 10.30 P.M., and fight a good part of the day, how am I to feel wakeful and lively to write to you? I am very well and getting stronger; was in part of the battle beyond the railroad; but only had a few bullets and one solitary cannonball in my neighborhood. This going from Beverly to battle is quite a sharp contrast. Our advantage was signal and important if we have good luck in holding on, which I think we shall. There may be fighting to-morrow, but I incline to think not.

SOURCE: George R. Agassiz, Editor, Meade’s Headquarters, 1863-1865: Letters of Colonel Theodore Lyman from the Wilderness to Appomattox, p. 231

No comments: