Sunday, March 22, 2015

1st Lieutenant Charles Fessenden Morse, August 26, 1861

Hyattstown, Md., August 26, 1861.

We are finally located with our brigade, which we joined Friday towards night, after marching from Buckeyston about eight miles. Saturday noon a mail arrived containing all our back letters.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Our camp here is quite a nice one. Most of General Banks' army is right about in the vicinity. Directly about us there are some twelve thousand men. The nearest rebel camp is about fifteen miles off, over the river at Leesburg, where there are nearly thirty thousand of the enemy. I am writing this in my guard tent. It is nearly one o'clock A. M., and I have just sent a corporal to wake Captain Coggswell who is “officer of the day,” that he may make the “grand rounds.” The camp is perfectly quiet; my candle and one in the hospital tent are the only lights to be seen anywhere.  The silence is broken only by the snoring of the first and third reliefs, who are “off,” and by the footsteps of the second relief, who are “on.” I hear now, in the distance, the sentry challenge: “Who goes there?” “Grand rounds!” “Halt, grand rounds!” “Advance Sergeant with the countersign.” “The countersign is right; advance, rounds!”

Captain C. has been and gone; he reports everything correct. There is no excitement now until “reveille,” at five. Captain Mudge and company started for Washington yesterday morning as guard to a wagon train. Washington is about thirty miles off; I should not be much surprised if we all got there before long.

It is now two o'clock and I must inspect a relief, so I'll close up this interesting epistle and put on my sword which I've taken off, contrary to regulations, and step out into the moonlight.

SOURCE: Charles Fessenden Morse, Letters Written During the Civil War, 1861-1865, p. 19-20

No comments: