Thursday, March 5, 2015

Brigadier-General John A. Rawlins to Mary Emeline Hurlburt Rawlins, April 4, 1864

Washington, April 4, 1864.

. . . I have written you before to-day and mentioned in my letter doubts of my confirmation, which doubts still exist in my mind, but knowing your desire to see and hear everything good of me, in the opinions of my friends I send you a letter from the Honorable E. B. Washburne to me, and a copy of one written by General Grant to the Honorable H. Wilson, Chairman of the Senate Military Committee. These letters were both written without request on my part. The former shows friendship for me personally, I cannot fail to appreciate, and the latter a confidence in me I scarcely could have hoped for. This letter of General Grant's you may copy in your own hand and send to your parents if you wish. Preserve the copy with care, however, for our children. A higher testimonial I would not, could not have. I will add that the Secretary of War says I must be confirmed. The only question is, I am a staff officer, which he says must not be made an objection in my case . . . The General Wilson mentioned in Mr. Washburne's letter is Senator Wilson and not our General Wilson. . . .

SOURCE: James H. Wilson, The Life of John A. Rawlins, p. 410-1

No comments: