Thursday, March 19, 2015

Diary of Margaret Junkin Preston: September 6, 1862

Our grief has sorrowed itself down to calmness; but how sad the household! Dear Willy was the darling of all. His unselfish nature led him to be considerate to a most remarkable degree of every one's comfort. Never have I seen so devoted and thoughtful a son. His love and care for his father had a womanly tenderness in it. I have need to miss him! He was ever gentle and kind to me, and loving to my children. A more faultless character I think I have never known. And then he was so consistent a Christian; that is the crowning blessedness of all. When he was struck down on the battle field, friends gathered around him with expressions of sympathy (we are told), when he said, “Don't distress yourselves about me, I am not afraid to die.” To the surgeon he said, “I am at peace with God and with all the world.” My heart aches for his poor father; he will stagger under the blow. His poor sisters are heart-wrung. Nothing could exceed his brotherly love to them. Alas! what sorrow reigns over the land! there is a universal wail of woe. Dr. White's family is stricken just as this one is. Hugh, their most cherished one, is killed, and today Professor White went with a hearse to try to recover his body. Henry Paine, the Dr.'s son, is killed; Col. Baylor killed; Major Patrick killed. It is like the death of the first born in Egypt. Who thinks of or cares for victory now!

SOURCE: Elizabeth Preston Allan, The Life and Letters of Margaret Junkin Preston, p. 147-8

No comments: