Sunday, March 22, 2015

John M. Forbes to Frederick Law Olmsted, December 21, 1861

Boston, December 21,1861.

I only received yours of the 13th yesterday, but to make up for the delay, it came indorsed by the Dr. with good news of your medical bill, and with a good story. I gave parts of it to our committee to-day, much to their edification, and it will help me in getting the right names to a petition which I have drawn up to Congress, and of which I will send you a copy on Monday. My idea is to attack, from this distance, the system of seniority rather than to make personal attacks upon individuals, and in this way we can get all the good names in Massachusetts. The real trouble is that so many of the bureaux of the government have degenerated into mere receptacles for files of red tape, that the moment you attack one, it becomes personal to all fossildom, and arrays it against changes.

Can I write personally to anybody to help the bill? I know of course our Massachusetts delegation, and can if necessary make some influence with Vermont, Maine, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, possibly Missouri; but I don't want to waste my powder by stirring a hair beyond what is necessary, having my hands overfull. . . .

All our women are eager; it is only organization and direction that is wanted; and this is one of the best offices of the Sanitary Commission. . . .

SOURCE: Sarah Forbes Hughes, Letters and Recollections of John Murray Forbes, Volume 1, p. 269

No comments: