Sunday, March 1, 2015

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, April 27, 1865


Headquarters Army Of The Potomac,
Burksville, Va., April 27, 1865.

I have received your letters of the 22d and 23d insts. Such exhibitations as are now being made of the body of Mr. Lincoln, are always in my judgment in bad taste, and are never solemn or impressive. Still, as public ceremonies, I suppose they always will be, as they ever have been, necessary for the masses of people.

I cannot understand Sherman's course.1 I am very sorry for Sherman, no one can dispute that his services have been pre-eminent, and though he may have erred in judgment, and have mistaken the temper of the North, he is entitled to the considerations due to his past services, which should have shielded him from having his motives and loyalty impugned. I am curious to see whether Grant, when he joins him, will smother him as he did me.
_______________

1 General W. T. Sherman's terms for the surrender of General Johnston were repudiated by the authorities at Washington.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 277

No comments: