Monday, March 2, 2015

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, May 1, 1865

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac,
Burksville, Va., May 1, 1865.

We are under marching orders for Alexandria, via Richmond, so the grand military division of the James, including the Army of the Potomac, has just existed about one week. I presume this army is ordered to Alexandria, as a preliminary measure to its disbandment.

I shall leave here to-morrow for Richmond, and after spending a day or two there, putting the army en route for Alexandria, shall proceed to that point, which I expect to reach before the middle of the month. I will write you from Richmond.

George1 and myself are both well, and greatly delighted with the idea of getting so near home as Washington, with the hope that, whatever turns up, I shal1 be able to spend a little time at home.
_______________

1 Son of General Meade.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 277

No comments: