Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Colonel John T. L. Preston, December 22, 1862

Caroline Co., Va., Dec. 22d, 1862.

Dear Colonel, — I hope that ere this your son Randolph is out of danger. I regretted to hear of his sickness.

Before this, you have, I presume, seen the details of the recent battle near Fredericksburg.

I greatly desire to see peace, blessed peace, and I am persuaded that if God's people throughout our Confederacy will earnestly and perseveringly unite in imploring His interposition for peace, that we may expect it. Let our Government acknowledge the God of the Bible as its God, and we may expect soon to be a happy and independent people. It appears to me that extremes are to be avoided, and it also appears to me that the old United States occupied an extreme position in the means it took to prevent the union of Church and State. We call ourselves a Christian people, and it seems to me our Government may be of the same character, without committing itself with an established Church. It does appear to me that as our President, our Congress, and our people have thanked God for victories, and prayed to him for additional ones, and He has answered such prayers, and gives us a government, that it is gross ingratitude not to acknowledge Him in the gifts.

Let the framework of our government show that we are not ungrateful to Him. If you think with me, I hope you will use the talent God has given you of impressively presenting facts to others, in securing a government which will gain God's blessing. Our Congressional Committee is in favor of repealing the law which requires Sabbath mails. Can you not write to several members of Congress for the purpose of securing their support of the committee's report? I have only seen one member of the House, Mr. Boteler, who warmly favors the repeal.

I am much obliged to you for your kind offer respecting Albert, &c. Please hire him to any one with whom he desires to live: and please ascertain whether Hetty has been hired, and if not, may I trouble you to do it f or me?  . . . I also wish you would sell my lot the first opportunity. I do not desire to keep it any longer. You need not consult me about the price, but take what you can get. Remember me very kindly to Maggie and all the family. I sent her a note from her brother John a few days since. He was on the recent battle field.

Very truly your friend,
T. J. Jackson.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Preston Allan, The Life and Letters of Margaret Junkin Preston, p. 152-4

No comments: