Friday, May 29, 2015

Brigadier-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, March16, 1862

Harper's Ferry, March 16, 1862.
My dear sister:

I do not remember from what place I wrote you last. I left here about a week since, expecting to march on Winchester, as it was supposed the enemy were in such force as to give us battle. After making the arrangements to attack the place, the enemy evacuated, and our troops marched in without firing scarcely a gun. Soon after the occupation, my division was ordered to return to this place, where further orders would be received. On our arrival here I telegraphed to Washington, and was directed to await further orders. I presume by to-morrow we shall be on our way to Washington or Annapolis. I am disgusted at the depredations our men are committing — stealing everything they can lay their hands on. I am sorry to say they are supported in it by many of their officers. There is no Union sentiment in this part of the country, and the conduct of our men is calculated to make the enemy more bitter than ever.

We are now in possession of all this valley, and it is likely that enough troops will be left here to hold it. My impression is that this division will go with either General McClellan or will form part of a corps to operate on one of the lines leading to Richmond.

The enemy seem more determined than ever, if you can judge from the tone of their papers. Their policy is not yet developed. Some think they will retire into the Southern States and depend upon the climate to assist them, others that they will give battle this side of Richmond; I am inclined to the latter opinion. All appearances indicate that General McClellan did not overrate their strength or position at Manassas, and that it would have been madness to have attacked them there. If he is let alone he will subdue them; but as for a reunion, that is another matter.

I will write as soon as I know our destination. I hope you have not written. I will tell you where to direct as soon as possible.

With much love, I am,
Your affectionate brother,
J. S.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 39-41

No comments: