Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Brigadier-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, June 4, 1862

Camp Near Richmond, June 4, 1862.
My dear sister:

This is the first leisure moment I have had since the actions of May 20 and June 1, and I have scarcely time now to write a word to assure you of my safety. I am sure you will be glad to hear that my troops behaved admirably, and before the fight was over the General congratulated me upon the manner in which the division was brought into action and the splendid behaviour of the men.

The Prince de Joinville rode up to me and said: “I congratulate you, General, on the admirable behaviour of your troops. You have won a great victory.” I will, at some future time, give a description of the fight, which lasted two days. We are now bivouacked in advance of the battle-field. The loss in my division was light, although in some of the others it was heavy. My personal friends are all safe, although many of them were in the hottest of the fight. We have still more fighting to do before entering Richmond, although we are within a few miles of it. A few reinforcements are coming in, but not enough to fill the casualties that have taken place. Our losses in battle have been considerable, and still greater by sickness. The disasters we have lately received are owing to the division of our troops ordered from Washington, and against the remonstrances of General McClellan. This will always be the case when persons entirely ignorant of military matters take the direction. I hope my next letter may be from Richmond, but man proposes and God disposes. The floods we have experienced in the last month have been very heavy; all the streams are so swollen and the bridges carried away that it is impossible to move artillery. By great exertion I got all of mine up, but now we could not move. With much love to all, you know I am ever

Your affectionate brother,
J. s.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 49-50

No comments: