Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, June 3, 1863

June 3, 1863.
My dear sister:

I have not heard from you for several days, and as I have had nothing particular to write, have not written. I received last night a long letter from Cousin Catherine from Boston. Her letter was very kind, full of expressions of love to you and our dear father. She said that you had written her, that I was fearful an effort was being made to throw the blame of the failure on my corps. I believe that was the first intention, and so wrote you, but the feeling was too strong against such an effort: every one sees that our corps has not only done its whole duty, but has really achieved the only success obtained. I wrote you that my old division were about to present me a horse, equipments, sword, etc. The horse has arrived, and is the finest in the whole army; some of the other things are now on exhibition in Philadelphia, and some they sent to Paris for. The presentation will come off about the 10th instant.

We cannot move at present, unless Lee forces us by some demonstration towards Maryland. Our troops are in fine condition, and all we want is to have our regiments filled up. There is no earnestness at the North. Governors only think about sending new regiments, and the number of appointments it will give them.

With much love,
I am, very affectionately,
J. S.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 130-1

No comments: