Thursday, July 23, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, July 17, 1863

Berlin, Few Miles From Harper's Ferry,
July 17, 1863.
My dear sister:

I received your letter of the 10th instant last night. This is the first day in the last twenty that we have not been on the move or engaged in the presence of the enemy, and it is a wet, dreary day. You have no doubt read that the enemy crossed the river at Williamsport on the 13th. Their forces now are far superior in numbers to ours. You will hear of the immense reinforcements that are being sent to this army, and wonder why we do not crush their army. All the troops sent us are thirty days' militia and nine months' volunteers, and are perfectly useless. I am tired of risking my corps in such unequal contests.

Captain Halsted will write you to-day, giving you a sketch of our marches for the last few days. The battles around Gettysburg were victorious, and had we been reinforced we could have made it a rout.

I enclose a letter from another John Sedgwick, wanting to know something of our family. I wish you would send it to Cousin Charles of Sharon and ask him to answer it. I am not sufficiently acquainted with the “tree” to give him the information.

I am glad you have found everything so pleasant and looking so beautiful around our home. I sincerely wish I was there with you to enjoy it. If it was not for that terrible riot in New York, which has been worse to us than the loss of a great battle, everything would look as if a termination to the Rebellion was at hand.

I am, as ever,
Your affectionate brother,
J. S.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 131-3

No comments: