Saturday, July 25, 2015

Major Wilder Dwight: September 10, 1861

pleasant Hill, September 10, 1861,
Camp near Darnestown.

I have had a day or two of horizontal contemplation, enforced by my leg, but now I am well again, and about resuming “active operations in the field.” You cannot expect that I should give you any stirring news, and had I been on my legs it would only have been for purposes of drill and discipline. After three days of scare, we subside. We keep two days’ rations cooked, ready for a march, and there comes to us every day fresh evidence that the enemy are active. Their plan, of course, we do not know, and I have wasted so many good hours in trying to guess that I now give it up. I have had, for three or four days, a chance to read and study quietly, — a thing which has not before occurred to me since I began this enterprise, in April last. I have enjoyed and improved it, and mean to get time always for some of it. Yet it is not easy, in the midst of all the active, practical duties of a life, to secure chances for study and thought, and I have been glad of this. . . . .

Colonel Andrews, who is in command, is full of life and energy. The want of progress and growth in everything military is a sore trial to him. He works hard for the regiment, and wishes every stroke to tell. I think we do grow better, but when you understand fully what a regiment ought to be, and ought to be capable of doing, you see that we are a long way off from our goal. “Peas upon the trencher,” breakfast-call, has just beaten, and here comes Colonel Andrews to go to breakfast.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 98-9

No comments: