Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, August 23, 1863

Warrenton, Virginia, August 23, 1863.
My dear sister:

I can scarcely hope to make you a visit this fall. I had hoped that something would turn up that would give me a few days' leave, but cannot see it now. I feel that I have done more than my share of field duty in the last four years; there are many General officers that have never been in the field, and I am one of the very few that started out and have been constantly on duty with the Army of the Potomac. The presentation that I wrote you about some weeks since comes off on Wednesday. I have not seen the articles yet, but have been told they are very handsome and rich. The horse is a beauty, cost six hundred dollars; his equipments, with the round girth and other traps, cost over seventeen hundred. I shall not know what to do with them. They will be too expensive for the field. The conscripts are coming in slowly, but, so far, not as many as have been sent off to enforce the draft. It will be many weeks before they are fit to take the field. I should not be surprised if some other field was chosen for the next operations. With much love to all, I am, as ever,

Your affectionate brother,
J. s.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 145-6

No comments: