Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Major Wilder Dwight: Sunday, September 15, 1861

Pleasant Hill, Camp Near Darnestown,
September 15, 1861, Sunday.

At regular intervals I am prompted to my pen, rather by the desire to think of you at home, than by the consciousness of any story to tell. It is called a hot day today. I found Colonel ––– and Lieutenant-Colonel ––– at Poolesville this morning in a state of intense glow, and crying out at the heat. I find it comfortable, and consider anything short of boiling water my natural element. The force of habit is so strong that my summer on the Potomac has fitted me for tropical life. . . . .

Colonel ––– told us that he had been down the river this morning, and taken a look at the enemy's picket on the other side. And a short conversation took place between our picket and theirs as to the relative forces and skill, &c. This disgusted Colonel Andrews, who tersely expressed the opinion, “When you see an enemy, shoot him. The shooting of pickets seems to have been voted by respectable authorities to be barbarous. Why, I cannot see. It amounts to this: If you don't shoot, they can post their men securely where they please, and thus attain, without risk, the advantages of outlook and guard which they desire. If you do shoot, they can't choose their position, nor readily secure their advantages. This seems to me conclusive. But humanity is a very vague term when applied to war. And we handle these questions very differently from the way in which we shall if the war lasts We are looking for a visit and review from McClellan. That will be an incident, and well worth while. The fact is, General Banks has been gradually stripped of his column. General Stone, a regular officer, has been given a separate division at Poolesville, and many of the best officers have been withdrawn from us. General Banks is left without a staff. Has lost much of his artillery and cavalry. . . . . If it were not that I believe that whatever is is right, and that docile submission is the best wisdom, I should regret belonging to this division, as it seems just outside of the work. But I am perfectly content with things as they are. When the time comes I hope it will find us ready.

McClellan doesn't believe in fresh-sprouted major-generals. That's clear.

I guess we shall see him in a day or two, and then perhaps he will open the path to glory to us. He keeps the gates. . . . .

Coffee-roaster has arrived, and is merrily at work. This is a comfort. Tell father he is the regiment's friend, and I bless him. Colonel Andrews says that I love the Second Regiment first, and my country next. Perhaps it is true. At all events, I care only for its success at present. The call is beating for parade, and the sun is setting. Good by.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 102-3

No comments: