Saturday, August 29, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, February 17, 1864

February 17, 1864.
My dear sister:

I received your last letter three days since. It is not often that I allow one of your letters to lie so long unanswered. General Meade has returned and resumed command. This has relieved me from some anxiety and a daily ride of some miles, but, what 1 dislike still more, looking over papers, sometimes called “red-tapism.” The weather for the last few days has been delightful and the roads quite good, but yesterday there was quite a snow-storm, clearing off cold.

We hear that there is to be a reorganization of this army, probably for the purpose of getting rid of some obnoxious Generals. I shall not be sorry to hear that I am one of them. I feel that I have done my part of field duty, although my health is quite good. A few weeks' rest would be beneficial, and I could even leave altogether without many regrets. With much love,

I am, as ever,
Your affectionate brother,
J. S.

I have sent by express to-day a scroll of parchment with list of names, etc., to go with the sword. I had it directed to West Cornwall.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 174-5

No comments: