Saturday, August 8, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to Major-General William H. French, September 1, 1863

Headquarters 6th Corps,
Warrenton, September 1, 1863.

My dear French:

It has been suggested by some of the friends of General McClellan that it would not be inappropriate for the old "Army of the Potomac" to present him some little testimonial as a pledge of their esteem.

Before making any move in the matter, I thought it best to ascertain the feelings of some of the corps commanders, especially of Newton and yourself. I therefore write you both, hoping that we may all take the same views. If so, I think it will go through with a rush.

For myself, I have never been intimate with the General — have never visited him socially; at the same time I have the greatest regard and admiration for him, and I would like to show that he still retains the love and confidence of the Army of the Potomac.

Please let me know, as early as possible, what you think of the idea, and the best plan for carrying it into execution.

Yours very truly,
John Sedgwick,
Major-General.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 155

No comments: