Saturday, September 5, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, March 27, 1864

March 27, 1864.
My dear sister:

Yours of the 19th came last night. General Grant arrived yesterday, and established his headquarters in Culpeper, about five miles from General Meade's. I have not yet seen him since his return. I liked his appearance and the general tone of his remarks and comments very much; but I doubt whether he will be able to effect much more than other Generals we have had in command here. The truth is, we are on the wrong road to take Richmond. The army has been reorganized by General Meade, my corps considerably increased. I hope when the campaign opens to have twenty-five thousand men and forty-eight pieces of artillery — a small army in itself.

Cousin Charles's wife's daughter and three young ladies made me a visit, staying three days. They came down to attend a ball, and the first intimation I had they drove up to my quarters; but we made them very comfortable, and had a delightful time. Tell Eliza, if Harry cannot get an appointment to West Point (and I do not think he can), that he would have no difficulty in getting one as civil engineer in the navy. It is not only a respectable one, but it is a rising place, and that department is to become an important one in our navy.

With much love, I am, as ever,
Your affectionate brother,
J. S.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 178-9

No comments: