Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Major Wilder Dwight: November 14, 1861

camp Near Seneca, Maryland, November 14, 1861.

Though I wrote you a letter this morning, I may as well begin another to-night. The patter of the rain reminds me that my new camping-ground is to be put to its test. I have just finished reading, in the Baltimore Clipper, the news of the fleet. Glad tidings! Such thrusts as these between the ribs of Rebeldom will make it wince. Success, too, gladdens me, independently of its results. I have got tired of delay and failure. Except Sherman's proclamation, the account all reads well. That is altogether too mealy-mouthed. For one, I should like to go there announcing that I come as an enemy to waste with fire and sword. That's what we mean to do, and I should like the satisfaction of saying so.

But if calling things by the wrong names pleases the President, and does not alter the things themselves, why, we must put up with it. An army is a stern fact, and its presence will indicate itself roughly enough.

The sudden movement of the slaves shows that fire among tinder has one effect. The slight indication afforded by the account of the servile movement is instructive. I am afraid it upsets my friend 's theories. Indeed, theorizing in these times is very hazardous. I had rather fight.

The incidents of my day are not very interesting. Colonel Andrews grows better, but his recovery must be slow. The attempt to make things go right is an arduous and irritating one always. In a regiment it is particularly so, because where one thousand men are concerned a thousand little matters will go wrong inevitably. The net result, when you come to look at it, is often very good, while every ingredient seems to be the wrong one. But I have no reason to complain of the results, and so I will e'en be philosophical and calm in my observation of the processes. I am glad to be getting quite well and strong again. Many of my recent sensations have not been those appropriate to a major commanding. But now I am getting firm again in my saddle, and can even use the spurs, if desirable. I expect my servant to-morrow. I shall feel very much like killing a fatted calf for him. Our rainy night leaves us in very good condition, and satisfies me that my camp is a good one. I have just finished a chilly breakfast; have directed some punishments; have seen to it that the company for picket duty at the river starts in season; have refused the applications for leave of absence; have wept copious but unsympathizing tears over my fire, which will smoke; have received the reports of the officer of the day; have examined the Surgeon's report and the company reports, and reduced the sick-list thirty-two men; have queried and questioned variously, and expect to do so for an hour longer. I feel exceedingly well and lively, and will close this letter in season for the mail.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 142-4

No comments: