Saturday, July 23, 2016

Colonel Marshall Lefferts to Brigadier-General Benjamin F. Butler, April 22, 1861

ANNAPOLIS ACADEMY, Monday night, April 22nd, 1861

General B. F. BUTLER, Commdg. Mass. Vols.

Sir: Upon Consultation, my Officers do not deem it proper under the circumstances to co-operate in the proposed march by R. R., laying track as we go along. Particularly in view of a large force hourly expected, and with so little ammunition as we possess. I must be governed by my Officers in a matter of so much importance. I have directed this to be handed to you upon your return from the transport ship. I am, Sir,

Yours respectfully,

MARSHALL LEFFERTS, Col. 7th Regt. N. Y. Vols.

SOURCE: Jessie Ames Marshall, Editor, Private and Official Correspondence of Gen. Benjamin F. Butler During the Period of the Civil War, Volume 1: April 1860 – June 1862, p. 22-3

No comments: